Pomham Daymarker/Beacon

This daymarker/ beacon was constructed out of stone in 1828

Pomham Beacon
Researched & Compiled by Bob Trapani, Jr.

1843 – Pomham Beacon existed as early as 1843 per the Report of the Superintendent of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, which listed it as a station in their report of work through June 1885. The report refers to the Pomham Beacon in Section 8, Geographical positions of trigonometrical points in the states of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, determined by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey between the years 1835 and 1885 and including those determined by the Borden Survey in the years 1832 to 1838. This report notes that the Pomham Beacon was surveyed in 1843.

1868 – U.S. Lighthouse Service Annual Report...Called “Punham Beacon.” A stone beacon, with vane and ball on top, is in good condition.

1869 – U.S. Lighthouse Service Annual Report...Called “Punham Beacon.” A stone beacon with vane and ball on top, in good condition.”

1870 – U.S. Lighthouse Service Annual Report...Called “Punham Beacon” A stone beacon with vane and ball on top, in good condition.

1872 – U.S. Lighthouse Service Annual Report...Called “Pumham Beacon.” A stone beacon, with vane and black ball.

1873 – U.S. Lighthouse Service Annual Report...Called “Pumham Beacon.” A round stone granite base, whitewashed, with spindle, black ball and vane.

1874 – U.S. Lighthouse Service Annual Report...Called “Pumham Beacon.” A stone tower, surmounted by a vane and black ball.

1886 – U.S. Lighthouse Service Annual Report...Called “Pomham Beacon” A stone tower surmounted by a black ball.

1895 – U.S. Lighthouse Service Annual Report...Called “Pomham Beacon” A stone tower surmounted by a black ball. The ball is gone and will be replaced.

1954 – Light List...The Light Lists forward from this date note that 1954 was the first year the Pomham Beacon was outfitted with a navigational light.

1962 – Light List...Called “Light 17A,” which exhibited a flashing white light every four seconds of 140 candlepower. The light was situated 12 feet above the water. The aid is listed as being “in 3 feet, 210 feet west of channel limit.” It was described as a “black platform on white stone tower, with the light itself being established in 1954. The light was obscured from 042o to 148o.

1972 – Light List...Called “Light 17A”...Flashing white every four seconds.

1974 – Light List...Called “Light 17A”

1976 – Light List...Called “Channel Light.” The description of the aid remains the same. The light was stated to have a nominal range of 5 nautical miles and a geographic range of 12 nautical miles.

1979 – Light List...Called “Channel Light.” In 3 feet, 210 feet west of channel limit. The light is listed flashing white every 4 seconds, with a range of 6 nautical miles and showing 12 feet above water. Black platform on white stone tower.

1981 – Light List – Called “Channel Light.”
1991 – Light List...Called “Channel Daybeacon P” and described as “NG on white stone

tower.” The height of the dayboards was listed as 16 feet.

1998 – Light List...Called “Channel Daybeacon P.” The dayboards were listed as showing 16 feet above the water.

2006 – Light List...Called “Channel Daybeacon P.”
2006 –Notice to Mariners October (40/06)...Noted as “remove from list.”

2009 – Office of Coast Survey...Notes that this aid was decommissioned in 2006 (36/06) and that this info was made available to the Raster Navigational Charts on 2/13/08. 


© Pomham Rocks Lighthouse 2017