Museum

      The museum inside the Pomham Rocks Lighthouse was established in 2018 upon the completion of the interior restoration. A dedicated group from the Board of Directors has worked tirelessly these past few years to prepare educational exhibits for the public to view and learn. They are now ready to share the history with you! 

The following exhibits are on display at the Pomham Rocks Lighthouse:

  • The Pomham Exhibit: Located throughout the first floor this exhibit contains artifacts used by lighthouse keepers, former lenses used in the tower and photographs from our archives. Our historic 4th Order Fresnel Lens is currently on display in the Custom Maritime Museum in Newburyport, MA. 
  • Coast Guard Era Exhibit: Located on the second floor this room features photographs, artifacts and documentation from 1956 - 1974.
  • Bullocks Point Lighthouse Exhibit: This exhibit, which is located in a second floor bedroom, features the history of the former Bullocks Point Lighthouse.
  • Sabin Point Lighthouse Exhibit: This exhibit dedicates a room to the history of the former Sabin Point Lighthouse.
  • Fuller Rock & Sassafrass Point Lighthouse Exhibit: The second floor landing is home to our exhibit displaying the history on these two former Providence River lighthouses.
  • Watch Room Exhibit: The watch room, located between the lantern and the second floor features pictures and documentation of our Fresnel lens in operation at Pomham Rocks.
  • Conimicut Corner: The Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse have been lucky enough to have a former keeper of the Conimicut Shoals Lighthouse as a member. Former Conimicut Keeper, Fred Mikkelsen is helping FPRL preserve Conimicut Light through his donations of related lighthouse photos and artifacts.
  • Restoration Exhibit: Located in the Cellar, this exhibit teaches vistors of the restoration done at the lighthouse form 2004 - 2018. Visitors will be able to see moldings used in the lighthouse and a section of the electrical cable. The cellar is home to our original 1871 cistern, which was recently restored.
  • The Gift shop is currently located in the former Keeper’s office / Oil Room on the 1st floor.

Our museum will always be a work in progress as we continue our educational research and artifact search for our visitors to enjoy. Check out a sneak peak of our exhibits below:

D6C38E3A-01BD-4EBD-B4AB-F8FD1E152EA3
66183ABC-16A9-4885-8B31-D8AC0330A220 2
B829AC01-9C3C-47E4-9958-BE75C677597F
Friends of Pomham Rocks Lighthouse
P.O. Box 15121 Riverside, RI 02915
Contact Us
© Pomham Rocks Lighthouse 2020